24 October 2005

What keeps you from riding?


The weather has been shaky for the last week rain has ruined some days for riding but the days that have been nice are filled with other hobbies that require dry days like for example tackling the repair of a canoe. I built this canoe in 1992 in high school and shortly after I left Maine and it behind. Until recently I have not been any where that would serve has good purpose to use a canoe. After 13 years it had finally started to rot. I have been slowly replacing the gunwales, inwales, cross members and deck caps. I have been doing this all outside during the nice days instead of riding. As the leaves are turning color and the temps in the 60's/70's the riding has been perfect however the little voice in my head tells me to continue on the old canoe. If everything goes right it will last another 13 years and by then I will be in a permanent place where I can try and tackle building another one to share with my children. As for the riding I guess I'll get a chance soon but not until I give due attention to some of my other hobbies.

These pictures show some of the damage before replacement and also some of the pre-finished work.

No comments: